Jan 8, 2013

pickpocketed

This calls for a blog post.

So I got pick-pocketed in the metro 2 hours ago. At Akshardham, one of the most crowded stations in the evenings. I was standing there waiting for the train. I had my headphones on, to brace for the one hour torturous ride back home from office. The train came to a stop, the doors opened; humans rushed at other humans at the gates, where of course there was no space to stand. I tried to fit in. In the process, my bag, which I was holding on my back, got drifted with the crowd. This is normal I thought. I tried to pull it in the front, which I did with some difficulty. Things came to halt and doors closed.

Train was moving now. I checked my pockets instinctively, first my jeans and then my bag's outer pocket, where I generally keep my wallet. The later was ajar. "It's ok man", I told my panicking insides, "you must have forgotten to close it". I slid in my hands. Empty. Panic. I turned towards the crowd, all still, all staring at me, panic apparent in my eyes. I worked my way away from the doors inside, looked around hopelessly, not knowing what to look for.

I am a such a coward. I should have shouted. I just stood there frozen, but then spoke casually. "Everyone please take care, a wallet has been stolen." Someone asked "Just now?". I said "Yes, My wallet. From my bag." There was activity. Eyes on me. Someone suggested, "Check everyone's pockets. The train is moving, he mustn't have gotten down." I just stood there. I am hating myself for this. I just fucking stood there. Some uncle said, "You look educated. Don't you care about what's yours." And I just fucking stood there. Got down at the next station, Yamuna Bank, called up dad to block my credit and atm cards. Later realized the extra difficulty I had pulling my bag to myself when I was getting in. It was then, that moment, when the godforsaken, son-of-a-fucking-bitch had his hands in my bag's pockets, trying to sneak my wallet out.

I lost a credit card, atm card, driver's license, some random loyalty cards and 400 cash this evening. I am hating myself, not for being careless or for the loss. But because, I didn't act when I should have.




No comments:

Post a Comment

hey there, your comment is valuable...more than this post..so feel free and give in your true response..thanx!